Betty Duffy

***

Friday, January 4, 2013

Quick Takes: I'm having a baby one of these days

1.
Apparently, I have been nesting for the past week or so, in spite of my protestations that I can't remember how to do it. Yesterday, I vacuumed all the lampshades in the house and felt really normal about it. Did a little wall washing as well. Today, I'm thinking of walking up the stairs to where the children live alongside the retired books to make sure there's no mold growing on the walls, and also to find the Dr. Sears Birth Book. I've put it off as long as possible--both climbing the stairs and revisiting Dr. Sears--to save my nether regions. It's a lot of pressure there, walking, and also it makes my business scared to read about perineal massage, tailor sitting, and kegels. I would like to pretend that there's not going to be any trauma involved to my lower half over the next week or so--but it's becoming clear that it cannot be avoided. I have a history of giving birth to 9-plus pound babies with gigantic heads, and the longer this one cooks, the more likely it is to be a biggun'.

2.
Here's proof:
 As you can see, my children are afraid of me.

With good reason. I have to wear dresses as shirts, because they don't make shirts big enough to cover this thing.

We'll not talk about weight gain.

3.
Sometimes I read other blogs by other pregnant mothers, like say, Grace at Camp Patton, who at 37 weeks looked maybe a tiny bit bloated. And then, just about a day later, she gave birth. I don't know what to say about this phenomenon. Both my sister, and my sister-in-law do the same thing, and I guess I still love them.


4.
To distract myself from impending perineal doom, I've continued my movie-watching streak. I actually went to confession about this yesterday--all the time I've wasted watching movies over the past month--and the priest said it wasn't a sin, because I'm having my sixth child, so...

I did go ahead and watch Anna Karenina, Les Mis, and the Hobbit, in spite of not having finished any reads or re-reads of the books. They were all very good, I thought (probably because I haven't read the Hobbit, so I can't be mad about its diversions from the book). But I am worried that I didn't cry at Les Mis. I'm afraid I have pregnancy-induced emotional dyslexia, because I cry at Ford Truck commercials if there's lots of mud and slow motion.

I agree 100% with Mrs. Darwin's review of Les Mis.

5.
I also cried at the Dark Knight Rises. But by far, the best movie I've seen this year--and I believe I've seen them all--is Beasts of the Southern Wild. I don't know how to describe this movie. It was unlike anything I've seen before.




6.
I'm adding my voice to the litany of prayers going up for Jen Fulwiler, as she recovers from pulmonary embolism in both lungs. Also prayers of thanksgiving for Melanie Bettinelli's safe delivery and sweet baby.

It's been a baby boom year as I think of everyone I know who's expecting or who has recently given birth.

What's God up to, I wonder.


7.
I'll just leave it at that.

13 comments:

Sarah Isis said...

I am with you... Grace is just so cute as pregnant lady! cannot believe how awesome she looked at 37 weeks. i gained TONS for baby #2. dont want to repeat that anymore... (no to wt gain, yes for future babies!)
good luck and praying for u.

Otepoti said...

What would be really cool is if you could - pretty please - post a gif, (is it called? small animated clip?) of when the baby just in there stirs and turns and you can almost catch a glimpse of a foot or hand. That would be amazing.

Myself, I was firmly in the huge scary tummy camp. When I walked down the street, it was continental drift. Once, some young punk turned and yelled, "Whay-hey, SHE's been playing "hide the sausage"!" At a twenty-year remove, this seems quite funny.

Love

BettyDuffy said...

Hide the sausage??!! That beats the "Daaaaang, Giiirlll!" I got yesterday.

nancyo said...

I can't wait to hear about your new little one! And I hear you on the size thing; when I was about 7 months pregnant with my first child, my husband observed "now I know there's no limit to how big you can get" - and I kept growing.

Grace Marie said...

1/2 mortified 1/2 flattered that you read Camp Ridic. I'd prefer a belly to a puffy face!

Best of luck and prayers with your delivery. Hopefully you have a less stubborn baby up in there.

BettyDuffy said...

Do not be mortified, Grace. I wouldn't miss a "what I wore Sunday." It's one of my favorite things. But I am green with envy at your cuteness while pregnant. Congratulations on Theo!

BettyDuffy said...

Oh, and there's a reason I kept my face out of the pic. It's almost as puffy as my belly. I guess you could say I'm twice blessed.

Anonymous said...

What a ginormous belly! The Olympic gold of bellies! It looks like a sarcophagas of an oversized basketball

BettyDuffy said...

Best comment ever.

Sally Thomas said...

Hugeness here, too, back in the day. Great jutting hugeness. I don't remember anyone's saying much to me about it, ever, other than, "Oh, you're still here?" for weeks and weeks before my due date.

Rebecca said...

Well I have to say it is comforting that you are still pregnant too. (I also got a weensy bit jealous at Grace's 37 wk delivery") Good luck and here's hoping we both deliver in the next few days!!

Christy from fountains of home said...

It's really disconcerting/traumatizing thinking about what's going to happen to your body when you're due eminently. Not. Cool.

I definitely don't think the movie watching was in the sinful category, I think it's great you could sit in a movie theatre that long! I saw les mis last week and was super uncomfortable in those movie theatre seats and I'm only six months! Prayers for you and the bitty bambino-I'm thinking small baby head thoughts for you!

MrsDarwin said...

I watched Les Mis with my five-month pregnant sister-in-law, and I had to pee worse than she did by the end. Never again will I buy a Coke at a movie theater, not least because they cost an effing $4.25.