Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Heating things up again


My mom had a Barbara Streisand and Neil Diamond album that played at regular intervals around our house when I was growing up. On the album was a song called, "You Don't Bring Me Flowers," about a couple that has lost the romance in their relationship. Other grievances in the song, besides the absent flowers, are: "You don't sing me love songs," "You hardly talk to me anymore," and on and on. It's a sad, sad song, and by the end of it, you're fairly certain the couple has no other option but to part ways and find romance elsewhere.
I remembered this song, oddly enough, when I was trying to figure out exactly how I would live out the Year of Faith that began on October 11. 
A Year of Faith . . . what would that look like for someone who has been practicing the faith for many years, for someone who fell head over heels in love with Jesus in young adulthood, and now, a number of years later, finds the romance is gone? 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or, just imagine how Jesus feels when people break the first commandment and pray to saints, instead of Him.

TheReluctantWidow said...

Dear Annonymous, we do not pray to saints. We ask for their intercession just as I would ask you to pray for me if we were friends. Hope that helps clarify things a bit.

Betty, loved the article. I know that I am the center of the universe right now, so I happen to think that Pope Benedict declared this to be the Year of Faith just for me 'cause he was listening to God and God knew I was going to need it. ;-)

Otepoti said...

And... apropos of mothing much, here is the best cover ever of that regrettably whiny song. You must enjoy this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMnCkg8dJXI

Best,

Otepoti

BettyDuffy said...

Love the ukelele orchestra. Sort of like the very tiny violin.
And thanks, Widow.

Lizzie said...

I'm so grateful for this year of faith. Just seen that you have a new home over at Patheos - congratulations. I think I just wrote the first comment...I'm kind of sad to say goodbye to Betty Duffy. Is it really the end?!

BettyDuffy said...

Well...

I'm not going to delete "Betty" or anything. But I've been feeling the need for a change for awhile. The new place won't be terribly different in content, so I hope readers will come over.

I know some people have reservations of various kinds against a) blogging for pay (with ads), and b) blogging at Patheos specifically. I don't know what to tell them.

Lizzie said...

I certainly don't object to you blogging at patheos- I've often felt bad that I'm reading such high quality writing knowing you weren't getting paid.I just like commenting with a small group- I'm such an introvert and commenting here has always felt quite intimate so I guess I'm just nervous... The only places I really comment are here, Heather King and pentimento. Even then, it's only sporadic. I'll take the plunge and jump in though- I'm always up for a challenge and need to expand my horizons!!!

BettyDuffy said...

Oh Lizzie, I'm nervous about the comboxes too. I plan to be diligent about interlopers picking fights--fortunately on the blogs, we can manage comments, so I'm hoping to maintain the intimacy we've enjoyed here. It's still not something I look forward to doing, though--even privately sorting through malicious commenters.