Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hark!

I herald the end of August! I smell burning things at night and in the morning I wake up cold. I love Fall.

I used to feel agonized in the days leading up to the return of school, that the time for leaving home would never come. I couldn't wait for a new palate of faces and places to look at, even though I knew I'd be tired of them and everything else by mid-winter. I still do get a kick out of dropping my kids off in the morning, then driving around the yellowing corn and soybean fields, while each day, it takes a little longer for the sun to burn off the dew.

I'm reminded of simpler times, when all I looked for in a man was a full beard, four-wheel drive, and an acoustic guitar, and all I wanted in a song was a plaintive or whispering vocal, a cricket track, and a badly played violin. So, I've made a playlist to accompany the old nomadic urge to pack up belongings, eat outdoors, and follow the sun as it distances itself from the world.

Personally, I'm not going anywhere this Fall, so I'll probably only use it to clean house.

Keren Ann: Not Going Anywhere

 

Radiohead: Give up the Ghost


Vashti Bunyan: Come Wind Come Rain


Morphine: In Spite of Me


REM: You are Everything


Joni Mitchell: Urge for Going

Camper Van Beethoven: All Her Favorite Fruit


The Reivers: Star Telegram


The Replacements: Sadly Beautiful


Robert Plant and Allison Kraus: Please Read the Letter
(This one works better if you avoid looking at Robert Plant in the video.)


Rufus Wainwright: Beautiful Child


Iron and Wine: Naked as we Came

4 comments:

Margaret in Minnesota said...

I haven't listened to REM in ages though they were, at times, what saw me through my stormy 20's.

"You are Everything," especially, was one that I'd play again & again, so thank you. I am home alone today and this song is exactly what my soul needed.

BettyDuffy said...

Sounds like we had much in common in our twenties.

Pentimento said...

Oh, great playlist, BD.

Lizzie said...

Perfect playlist for the weekend before school and work start again. And, a reminder of how very much I love autumn. I can't wait!