Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Friday, May 18, 2012

Pub life


A couple weeks ago, my husband and I had an argument. Things escalated, yada, yada, and before we knew it, three days of monosyllabic conversation sans eye contact had ensued. 
Then the phone rang. It was my friend Pedge inviting us over to play cards with her and her husband. I agreed, procured a babysitter, and said to my husband, "Do you want to make up so we can go play Euchre?"


(If you've been around for awhile, you've probably read my post at Patheos this week here on my blog in 2009, but if not, it's on drinking and the public life of the family.)

3 comments:

karyn said...

You've mentioned it before that you're an extrovert and it shows in this post! What you have described, the card game, the live-in relatives, living close to neighbors, all of that would be a trial for me. Maybe I need to work on liking people more...

Clare said...

This is so great. Also, I am firmly convinced that beer is actually necessary to family life.

Kimberlie said...

When Paul and I lived in WI, we gathered a group of friends there that we socialized with often. It was good for us as we both lean toward introversion and having these friends helped us to get out from within. Since moving back to OK, I have found a social life but WE have not yet. I miss those times.

I think it's really important to be in relationship with others. Our world, with all it's gadgets, games, social media and such, is becoming increasingly isolated from in-person interaction. Beer and a game of cards with friends sounds like a good remedy.