Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Avoiding the accumulation blues

I stopped for a coffee yesterday on the way home from the doctor's office, and the man at the drive up window said, "Happy Black Friday! What can I get for you today?"

I almost rolled up my window and drove away. When did "Black Friday" become a holiday? I don't even remember it having a name until a couple years ago. Until then, there was a general understanding among the Sane of this Earth, that one only left the house on Friday after Thanksgiving in the most desperate circumstances--you were in labor, or choked on a turkey bone--lest you get caught up in the rush of madwomen at Toys R Us who would pound one another for the right to purchase a Cabbage Patch Doll.

Forgive me for being a curmudgeon. I'm still trying to get rid of stuff that I've accumulated with much less effort and cash.


The Anchoress also has a post on the Black Friday problem, along with some good gift ideas for the person who has everything.

4 comments:

Kimberlie said...

I'm going to go read those articles, but let me just say that I am a fellow curmudgeon. I can't stand the whole idea of "Black Friday." It irritates me even further this year because of all the retailers that opened on Thankgiving evening. When I heard that I thought "you have got to be kidding me!" I just want to give up on the whole idea of Christmas (in the commercial, gift-sense) because the worship of stuff is getting so out of control. I'm telling you, those Amish look more and more appealing each day. I should petition Rome to begin a new rite called "Catholic Amish" tradition. :)

Kate Wicker said...

Ditto for me with the anti-black Friday sentiments.

Nancy Piccione said...

Sorry to be a downer here, but I had this strange thought when I read this post. Even with all the Black Friday ads, it didn't occur to me until I read " I don't even remember it having a name until a couple years ago" that it's apropos for my family to call it black Friday because my Mom died 3 years ago early Friday morning after Thanksgiving. I don't know why, since you don't reference death--just the Holy Spirit spoke out of your words. And here's how quickly things have changed-- just 3 years ago, things weren't so open all night. I drove through the night to OH to try to get there, and I tried to stop at a Starbucks in IN and was mildly shocked it was closed, but thought appropriate for midnight on Thanksgiving. This year it was probably open.

BettyDuffy said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Nancy. I believe that would make the day seem darker for me too.