Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Friday, April 8, 2011

A Few Pleasures To Be Had

(unless you gave up movies, TV, internet, novels, or Sunlight for Lent)

1. Mrs. Darwin and I rendezvous'd over the weekend to see the newly released Jane Eyre movie. We had a large bucket of popcorn, which we ravished during the previews, but as soon as the movie began--there was not a crunch or whisper in the theater until the final credits. Pure viewing satisfaction. Fans of Jane will be delighted, I think--or at least, these fans were.

2. Spring, Glory be. Felt the first rays of some seriously warming sun today. Hunched over to do a little weeding in the flower garden and was absolutely shocked to discover this evening that I now have a sunburn on my plumber's crack (also shocked that I have a plumber's crack).

3. T-Chisel's "The Rough Cut" has taken Norm Abram's "New Yankee Workshop" TV spot Saturday mornings on PBS. What a winning situation.

4. Also on PBS, Upstairs Downstairs premiers Sunday night. Hopefully will tide me over until Downton Abbey returns.

5. I love the book I'm reading: "Suite Francaise" by Irene Nemirovsky
About the German invasion and occupation of France during World War II. I usually hate books about war, but this book reads like snapshots of so many different lives and is written on such an intimate human scale. We get to peak into the lives of every level of French society, from the cultured middle classes, to farm families in the provinces, and see how each experiences the war. The book was written while the author herself was in hiding from the Germans. As she was a Jew, her manuscript was interrupted by her arrest and she died at Auschwitz in 1942.

6. Quick take Fridays are great. I love them.

4 comments:

Dobrovits Family said...

Just called my sister to set up an outing to Jane Eyre tomorrow - me (43), sister (28) and my daughter (12)...
Then we will go eat and discuss! Heaven!!

Erin said...

I plan on doing your #2 today, but hopefully I won't discover any cracks. LOL Too funny.

Peter and Nancy said...

I really want to see Jane Eyre! It's not in my city, and since all the menfolk in our family are in a Passion Play this week, my odds of seeing it soon are slim. I am recording Unpstairs Downstairs, so that will have to be my fix.
Nancy

Misha Leigh. said...

I am behind - I love this linky list, but I love your news even more. Congratulations and much love and prayers for health and enjoyment of this season.