Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

We're on Spring Break




...Which doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot. We were going to go camping, but it's freezing outside, so we decided to stay home and have fun working on the house. The kids get to take turns being Dad's helper each day--and they love it! They're so glad we didn't go camping and stayed home to do chores instead.

Today I reglazed windows. My husband drywalled the ceiling in the bathroom and put quarter round down in the bedroom. My daughter mopped the kitchen floor and cleaned out the garage. One of the boys followed my husband around with the shopvac, another kept disappearing, one took a long nap, and one stood on the kitchen table for several hours pushing around a matchbox car. It's been a very productive day.

Quick takes:

1. Can't get enough Ray Lamontagne. Listening to "Home for the Summer" over and over again. Any song that says, "I'm tired" in the chorus is right up my alley these days.

2. Sort of wish I were going to Boston this weekend for the Faith and Family Mom's Day Away. I was too cool for it when I had the chance to go, but now I'm afraid I'm missing a party.

3. Of course, I'm really not cool at all. I'm a homebody. So I'd like to invite the Coordinators of the next Mom's Day Away--if there will be a next-- to consider Indiana. Like Boston, it is also freezing in April.

4. I've been enjoying Kate Wicker's posts on the case for happy mom-blogs, and for authenticity online. She writes:

"Pope Benedict’s recent letter on World Communications Day discussed the challenge of being authentic and faithful, and not giving in to the illusion of constructing an artificial public profile for oneself when participating in social media like blogging, Twitter, and Facebook."

This is topic that's been on my mind, especially concerning the idea of meeting in person friends that I've met online, say, at a Mom's Day Away.

I like to keep a little space between my internet life and my real one, which is why I don't post a lot of pictures up here, and why I use a nickname instead of the name on my driver's license. I wanted to keep a clear search record on my given name. I also didn't want to have to be so fastidious concerning what I write on the blog.

But the longer I'm online, the more important it seems to me to be who you say you are. I appreciate writer's like Simcha, and Jen, and The Anchoress, and Kate who go out on controversial topics and take whatever heat follows. They have more credibility in my mind for facing it, literally, with their faces on their blogs.

Which makes me think that the world requires a public persona of its writers these days. Sort of wish it didn't.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nooo no no no nono. You really make the partial anonymous blog work. Others who are public with their identity seem more like journalists, and somehow not quite as real or raw. Don't change!

simchafisher said...

I agree: Noooo no no no nono! The semi-anonymous thing IS your persona. The tell-all lookit-my-wounds thing is my persona. It's not courage, I'm just an exhibitionist, and can't help it. Your reserve is a major part of the tone of this blog.

JMB said...

I don't have a blog, but if I did, I'd be anonymous. I'm too chicken and thin skinned to let it all hang out.

BettyDuffy said...

Simcha, whatever it is, thanks for doing it. It makes for enlightening entertainment.

Sue Elvis said...

Betty, I have been popping in on a regular basis and enjoying your stimulating, entertaining and thought provoking posts very much.

Maybe I am slow or maybe I haven't been reading long enough but I didn't even realise your blog is semi- anonymous!

I blog under my real name and write about all my children without any secrecy. This works well when I am pondering such questions as "Is my 7 year old spoilt?" but I have found it is sometimes difficult to blog about my young adult children. If I so happened to have a young adult son who was renowned for his reluctance to clean his room, or if that imaginary son crashed the car, I would not be able to mull over all my worries and concerns online because I would feel I had to respect that son's privacy, him being a adult and all that.

While you have been pondering the possibility of revealing more, I have been turning over in my mind the delights of starting a totally anonymous blog where I could say anything I like without embarrassing the other members of my family!

Thank you for sharing your involving stories. God bless.

mrsdarwin said...

Betty, I remember a few years ago, when some blogger came out of anonymity, and there was a big stir for a few days, and then no one cared. Don't ever lose your air of mystery; it becomes you.

And it's what allows us anon bloggers to keep our detached air of uber-coolness, until we realize all the other kids are having fun in Boston without us...