Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Dead

My computer crashed this weekend. It's dead as a doornail, and I knew it was going to happen. I could feel it coming on--the slowness in its occupations, the weird start-ups. The low battery life. All of it pointed to imminent demise. Nevertheless, I did not back up my data. I lost everything of course. Lots and lots of words. And music. And pictures.

I feel free.

All those words were starting to nag me. "When are you going to come back and DO SOMETHING with us?" And the pictures--covering roughly two years of our lives. Now I have an excuse when my fifth child looks through the photo albums and wonders why there are so few pictures of him. I won't have to say, "Because we already had four "first haircut" pictures." I can just explain that "The world went digital right around the time you were born, and all things digital eventually succumb to the abyss. Make sure you don't go and do likewise."

7 comments:

Shorty said...

Oh boy... back up EVERYTHING. lol I learned this the hard way too.

Owen said...

Does it seem odd, I envy the freedom? I shouldn't wish for a computer break down or Internet collapse but I admit to have recently lusted for a viable excuse to just quit and spend more time drawing and journaling. Why is blogging and social networking so hard to walk away from? Well, for one, it would mean not reading your blog.

Emily J. said...

Well, I can help re-forge your chains if you want digital photos of your kids and your boots from Christmas.

BettyDuffy said...

Owen, i told my husband i didn't want to replace my computer for awhile--but he didn't think I was serious, and he came home the next day with a new laptop for me. God bless him. It's nice.

Sure, Em, I'll take some Christmas pics. Especially if you print them out for me! HA.

mrsdarwin said...

Owen, I agree. I've been taking a de facto hiatus from blogging --it's a season of life thing -- and it's so freeing not to have to come up with something to say every two or three days. Last night I didn't get on the computer at all, and everything got done.

I can't just let it go, though, because right now, having just moved, my online friendships are what I've got, and I can't lose them.

Catholic Bibliophagist said...

Yep. Same here. Except for my mom, who lives next door, practically everyone I know is long distance or online.

--C.B.

Owen said...

Germaine to this conversation is this NPR clip http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129813420

you can listen or read the transcript. While I don't agree with everything being said --the guy at the end is perhaps especially wacky-- there is a definite resonance here for me, pause for thought at the very least. Ironically, here I am using social media to tell you about it.

BACHMAN: Students will have ways around those hurdles. Off-campus students will keep their unrestricted access, and everyone still has email. But I asked Ashley, Gio and Yemi what it might be like if they couldn't use that most popular form of communication: the text message.

Mr. ACOSTA: Wow.

Ms. HARRIS: No.

Mr. AFUAPE: That's something scary to imagine, actually, no texting.

Ms. HARRIS: No, I couldn't do it. No. That's not even a question.

(Soundbite of laughter)

Ms. HARRIS: It might be a relief. I'm going to commit, and I'm going to see what it's like for a week if I talk to people face to face more, if I connect more. I might get some homework done.

(Soundbite of music)