Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Discussing Heather King's Memoir, "Parched"

At Reading for Believers


Feel free to stop in and join the discussion.

Our friend Dylan starts the conversation with this promising endorsement:

"I just finished Parched, of especial interest as it mentions sites familiar to any Bostonian, and let me say that it is quite the read. Compelling is a mild word to describe the inexorable magnetism that this memoir exerted on this reader. And I have just begun reading her second book, Redeemed.

I begin to think that if Ms King's books were in wider circulation, she could be a more effective evangel to this generation than Thomas Merton was to his. It sounds like overpraise, but I mean it sincerely. Only someone who has been to hell and back can convincingly point the way to heaven. "

5 comments:

dylan said...

I should have noted that Parched can be very rough going at times, but no doubt it was rougher for the author to have lived through what she describes than it is for the reader to read of it!

Oh, and there's a marvellous description of an Italian dinner that would make any reader wish he lived in the North End of Boston!

Amy Welborn said...

I agree. She needs to be more widely known and read. She's singular.

Peter and Nancy said...

Thanks for the recommendation -- I'm going to reserve it at the library this week!
Nancy

Robert in Mass. said...

I read both books within days of each other. They are great. Parched especially tells a really hard, excruciating story with incredible humor and lots of insight. I love both books and am eagerly awaiting the third.

And her blog is great too. She deserves a wider audience.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read Parched yet, but I read Redeemed in about a day and passed the book onto a dear friend. I think there is a real need in Catholic circles for people like Heather King, Mary Karr and Tobias Wolfe because they speak to a generation or two that has been brought up in a secular world. Yes, the Catholic blogosphere is great for the homeschooling/uberlargefamily/ruralliving/skirtwearing/craftingcrowd, but there are a lot more people out there that just want to connect with Catholics and/or converts that aren't total nerds. No offense to the homeschooling crowd, but I want urban/real/in the world. It means something to me to hear someone like Msgr Albacete say that her memoir rivals Confessions! Go Heather.

JMB