Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Friday, January 29, 2010

Quick Takes: quick links

(Thanks Jen, for hosting)

1.
I've been wanting to draw some attention to a few links I've been enjoying. Here they are:

2.
Dunia Duara
This is my friend Justin's blog (sometimes she comments here as "Jus"). She and her family are living in Kenya for a few years while her husband, a doctor, does a medical mission/residency.

Jus blogs mostly for friends and family, but she takes the most gorgeous pictures of her kids, the culture, and life in general, that just looking at her blog satisfies both my thirst for adventure and for domestic tranquility. She's Orthodox Christian, a great writer, an inspiring mom, a transmitter of beauty, and a dear friend.

3.
A Song Not Scored for Breathing
Christianity is nothing if not deep healing for serious wounds. Hope writes about sexual abuse, substance abuse, sexual addiction and recovery through Christ with incredible honesty and intelligence. This post gave me chills.

4.
Bloggers Anonymous

Speaking of addiction...


5.
An Aesthete's Lament
For those striving to live a life worthy of their blue china.

6.
A Thousand Years of Good Prayers by Yiyun Li
This is a short story collection I picked up because Steven Riddle is crazy about Li. I have not been disappointed. Incredible writing and story-telling.

7.
The Hurt Locker
I'm not usually a fan of war movies. This, however, was gripping and had tremendous food for thought. It's out on DVD. Warnings: Violence (not really, though there was some disturbing imagery), Language (probably, but I wasn't listening for that).

8 comments:

Mary said...

I totally agree about the Hurt Locker. Powerful movie! One of the best I have seen in awhile.

Love the blog and the links help. I look forward to checking them out.

Happy Friday!

Margie said...

I love, love, love A Thousand Years of Good Prayers. It's made it to the lifetime favorite list. Appreciate your spotlight of this wonderful little book. But do you know if Li has been granted citizenship here, yet? About 3 years ago, I read it had been denied.

Dawn Farias said...

I totally subscribed to Bloggers Anonymous. Thanks for the link!

BettyDuffy said...

Dawn, I'm on day 2 no stats. Gave my password to Pedge, and she's going to tell me if anything interesting happens. Doing fine...I think.

Hope said...

Thank you for your kind words about my blog. That particular post was the hardest one I ever published because of the people in my face to face life who were going to read it and possibly judge me for it. It's that post, too that keeps me blogging anonymously.

Jus said...

TEULY honored to by included...... Now I need to get to posting an update ;)

Jus said...

meant to say "truly" - it is 5 AM , my fingers to not yet work....

Dawn Farias said...

Betty - I am liking not having stats!! Proud of us. ;)