Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Addendum (He sees you when you're sleeping...)

I can’t get that bad movie I watched the other night out of my mind, which is by no means a recommendation of it. It was set in Mexico where religious symbols are everywhere, which means that in the background of every dirty deed performed on screen was an image of Our Lady, or a Crucifix. Unlike the scene in “The Diving Bell and the Butterfly” (a movie I DO recommend), in which a character is unable to perform in the sack because of the statue of Our Lady on his girlfriend’s dresser, the characters in this movie were oblivious to the religious symbols that surrounded them.

It’s troubled me for a couple of days, their coldness and oblivion. I thought at first that the movie makers were thumbing their nose at religion, my religion, in particular. And since it was a coming of age story about teenage boys, it made me feel despairing about the spiritual life of young men during that pivotal time in their lives. I was tempted to say that adolescence is some sort of parenthesis to the spiritual life—a time when young men are in less control of their wills than even before the age of reason.

Today, it occurred to me, that as troubling as the lives of American teens seem to be, there really is no parenthesis to the spiritual life. God became man: a baby, a child, an adolescent, a young man. The beauty of the incarnation is that Christ is not oblivious to any of the temptations that any man in any stage of life might feel. Of course there is a Crucifix in every heinous scene of that movie, because Christ is privy to all the wretchedness of humanity, whether or not we want to give him the credit for understanding what we’re capable of. We would prefer to think that he’s glaring over our shoulder waiting to judge and condemn us for these temptations that are too terrible for him comprehend.

But if Christ became man to save us from our sin, it is probably a safe assumption that he is present to us in our adolescence, battling fiercely to win our hearts, perhaps more than at any other time in our lives. And his victory is more often than not in the contrition that we feel once we have surfaced from our oblivion and recognize that he loves us still.

7 comments:

Anne said...

Wow. Very deep and probably, very true.

I'm always amazed that He can love us so deeply when we can behave so badly. I've a long way to go to holiness.

Darwin said...

Okay, so now I have to ask: What movie was this?

BettyDuffy said...

Not telling!

berenike said...

o wow, you linked to us with approval!

And that's after two of the intellectuals on the blog have joined monasteries, and the other one hardly ever posts!

(falls off sofa in surprise)

BettyDuffy said...

Well darn it. I'm always late to the party. At least you're still posting.

deanna said...

Interesting post. Your blog is also very interesting, real, down to earth.
I am usually right too, husband hates that:)

TS said...

I can't get "Beerfest" out of my head unfortunately. The plot summary looked so promising.