Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Monday, September 21, 2009

A Few Items I Can't Live Without

Family and Friends from high school and college, may see this post and think, "Has the woman not been shopping since 1994?" But I have. I have shopped plenty, and found nothing I like so well as these few items. As the years march on, my appreciation for these items only grows, as they stand up to repeated washings and wears.

Can you imagine a more amiable and accommodating tag?

Of all the reasons to shop thrift, this may beat all: the chance of finding one of these relics from the late 70s-early 80s; vintage Lacoste; Cut close to the body, but long enough to cover the stomach; A longish short sleeve; and the ever vibrant, indestructible poly/cotton blend.

Somewhere along the way, we were conditioned to think that 100% pima cotton is some sort of luxury, in spite of the fact that it gets nubby and threadbare after a couple washings. I'm not too proud to admit that I miss my polyester--especially in things like sheets--how they were cool and slick when you first climbed into them.


A sweater is a different matter, however. Wool or cotton for me. This one's finally falling apart, and I'm not sure what I'll do. Abercrombie and Fitch cotton cable knit circa 1992. My conscience no longer allows me to shop A and F.


Some things never go out of style, because they were never really in style: navy blue, zip front, hooded sweatshirt. Too practical to be labeled "hoodie."


About five years ago my cousin saw these sandals still on my feet, and asked "Don't you think it's time to replace those? They look like they would smell bad."

So, I had them resoled, which didn't do much for the hypothetical odor, but added another 10 years to their lifespan. I paid a lot for these, once upon a time, and when I went back to the cobbler who made them (yes, cobbler), I told him, "You'd make more money if these shoes were not so indestructible." But he didn't seem to mind, toiling away in a little backroad hut, making good shoes because it's the right thing to do.

And if we ever have a famine, the leather on these sandals is so soft now, I could probably eat them.

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

Need to look - but it seems we're around the same age. Loving and appreciating certain things from the 70's and 80's. LOL - you should have asked your cousin if she wanted to take a whiff and find out for herself (kinda an odd thing for her to say) - I would have had a pair of beloved leather boots resoled if they could have been...they had been worn beyond repair. Those are fabulous sandals. Love your writing - new to it via Conversion Diary - Jennifer.

eko

Betty Duffy said...

Glad you stopped in, eko. Nothing like good leather, is there? Can't stand plastic shoes--if you want to talk about stinky shoes.

Anonymous said...

some years old in history.
Now moder cell phones
have catholic stuly)))
www.atholi.cc.cc

Rachel said...

Let's give a shout for the smelly "muffin shoes". Hip hip Hooray!!