Betty Duffy

(Amateur)

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Marge Calling

I woke up this morning with a frog in my throat. My voice sounds like I’ve been a two-pack-a-day smoker for the past twenty years, which gives the impression that I am wise and jaded. I love it.

I had a girlfriend in college who had nodules on her vocal chords that made her voice raspy all the time. How cool is that, to arrive at college at the age of 18 with a voice that testifies to your wisdom and jadedness? There was nothing to prove, no need to misbehave. The voice did all the dirty work of saying, “I’ve been through hell.”

I want to call people so they can ask, “Are you alright?” And I can say ever-so-casually, “Yes, I’m fine. I haven’t been sleeping… but… You know how it is.” The subliminal message: “I’m going through hell. But I’m strong. I can take it. It’s just this voice that gives me away, dammit. Sorry you have to witness my suffering, because if it weren’t for this voice, I would keep it entirely to myself.”

So if the phone rings at your house, and upon hearing the first, “Hey,” you think “Why is Marge Simpson calling me?” Think twice. It’s probably me.

1 comment:

Kristin T. (@kt_writes) said...

HA! You nailed it. The whole "I'm going through hell, but I'm strong, I can handle it" balance. Perfect. Thanks for the laugh on this Monday.