Betty Duffy

***

Saturday, November 29, 2008

WAITING...

I try to keep the kids (as a subject) off this blog as much as possible, because I consider it sort of my grown up play room, but there are times when the fact that I am a mother becomes impossible to ignore. Right now is one of those times, because if I have not given birth in the next two days, I will be induced. Even prior to the induction date, my mind had turned 100% to every sign of pre-labor activity, every minor contraction, every trip to the bathroom, every grunt and ache in the middle of the night (during which I am more often than not, awake).

I have mentioned before, that I am not an exemplary pregnant woman. I don't glow. I don't do yoga. I read the Dr Sears birth book during pregnancy #1, and never again. This time around, I did not do the "best-odds diet" and ended up an insulin dependant gestational diabetic. I've had a couple of natural labors, a couple with epidurals, and have no opinion on which is better. I enjoy going to doctors appointments, particularly when there is testing to be done, because I love being coddled and having the primary attention of anyone, even if that attention is directed towards my blood pressure, or my urine. And lying in a dark room with a monitor on my stomach is my current idea of heaven, (baby's heartbeat, combined with the slushy uterine background noise...zzzzzzz....).

When I am not timing contractions, I am not doing anything. I have found myself lately sitting in my husband's favorite chair, feet propped on ottoman, staring into space for God knows how long. I have no attention span for reading, slightly more for writing, and slightly more than that for eating. I am grateful my husband is home for this four day weekend because he always has something fun to do, which keeps the kids occupied: trips to the bakery, running back and forth to the lumber yard, watching Norm on This Old House.

I finally broke trance yesterday at my husband's suggestion to go see Twilight at the movie theater here in town (by myself). I loved it, by the way. I only read the first book in the series, and was relieved that a lot of the less interesting and annoying narration was not in the movie. Acting was good and it was an entertaining couple of hours.

Now I am back to experiencing anxiety for labor. It must be done. The baby will come out, and the only way to make it happen is to go through labor. My Parish priest told a story the other day about a woman in the Parish having her fifth child, or something like that, and she had the baby in the car on the way to hospital without so much as an uncomfortable grunt. What kind of bargain could I make with God for an experience like that? Or to be one of those teenagers at the prom, who goes into the bathroom, drops a baby, and heads back out to the dancefloor. I want to hear about happy and brief birth experiences--do you have one to tell?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wishing you a beautiful, peaceful, short, healthy birth of a beautiful, peaceful, healthy baby who nurses like a champ.

hugs to you. your baby WILL come!

rachael b.

Elizabeth said...

three to tell. all were quick, painless (well, relatively speaking) and beautiful. i wish for you a quick twinge and 2.5 hours later your beautiful baby boy resting until time to nurse. think of the time recuperating in the hospital as a spa visit before you return home...ahhh, the quiet of your own room, for one short day (maybe they´ll let you stay longer!)

JenX67 said...

After three horrendous pregnancies all my mercies were realized in swift deliveries. "Runaway births" the nurse from New Jersey called one of them. You are in my prayers, Betty. I can't wait to read the blog post about that new baby boy.

Anne said...

Came across you blog today and thought I'd leave a comment. Good luck with your birth. Woman are strong, you'll muster through it. You'll find your inner strength. Us woman do what we got to do to get the job done. Best wishes to you and your family.

Pedge said...

Waiting with you.
p.s. I can't believe you went to see Twilight without me!
Love, Pedge

Kate said...

Okay, so I heard it wasn't exactly short, but was it okay? Welcome, Man-Baby Duffy! And Congratulations to the new (again) Momma! :) Can you eat a celebratory cookie yet?

Can't wait to see you!

Jus said...

oh may you meet the little one soon! I was shocked to be induced with number 4. I have gone later and later every time. I had an epi with the induced one as well. After the epi took effect I went from four cm to holding the baby in 24 minutes. My husband laughed out loud in his "I told you so" voice. When I asked what was so funny he said "you get nervous that you WILL yourself not to give birth - as soon as you relax - out they come ;) ". I explained that they it really is not as easy as all that but in part he is right. prayers for you and yours.

Emily A said...

Hugs and prayers for your easiest labor yet! I wish I had quick easy labor stories for you but I generally hold records with my pals for longest labors. Can't wait to hear about your new baby boy!

Emily said...

Welcome Baby Paul! God has blessed the Duffy's, especially "old pro" Betty D! After you get home from your spa vacation where you get your diapers changed for you, we'll look forward to reading your rehash. Love, your sister

swaying mama said...

Congrats on your newest baby! Happy babymoon!

Betty Duffy said...

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I so enjoyed reading over these when I returned from the hospital.

(And welcome to new visitors!!!)
Betty